Date of Birth
7 March 1966
Place of Birth
Jonathan Del Arco
Screen Actors Guild Award (2011) “Outstanding Performance by an Ensemble in a Drama Series” for The Closer
Jonathan Del Arco is a Uruguayan American actor and gay rights and political activist. He is best known for his role as Hugh the Borg on Star Trek: The Next Generation and for his starring role as medical examiner Dr. Morales on The Closer and Major Crimes. He was awarded the 2013 Visibility Award from Human Rights Campaign and is a guest speaker for the organization.
In addition to acting, Del Arco is a political, environmental, and gay rights activist.
He was a consultant for the Gay, Lesbian and Straight Education Network (GLSEN), which works to improve the educational environment for LGBT elementary and secondary students in the United States. Del Arco says his work with GLSEN has been life-changing. “Never did I imagine that working for a nonprofit organization would have such a great effect on me personally. It’s changed the structure of how I use my career as an actor because now I have a reason beyond entertainment to promote something other than me.”
– Has a Star Trek Action Figure in his likeness as the character Hugh (Third of Five), a Borg seen in “I, Borg” in the Star Trek: The Next Generation (1987) 5th season and also in “Descent: Part 2” in the 7th and last season of Star Trek: The Next Generation (1987).
– Good friend of Chase Masterson.
– Served as an Obama Celebrity Surrogate for the 2012 Presidential Campaign, giving speeches across the country on behalf of President Obama.
– Fluent in Spanish and English.
– Environmental enthusiast.
– Revealed on twitter that his first names is/was Fernando.
[on reactions he gets from fans of Major Crimes and The Closer, 2013] People love Dr. Morales. I have to be honest, I think I represent a side of a lot of people that in the work world where they feel like they are working with people that are just not as good as they are. [Laughs] There’s that co-worker that is just not pulling their weight and I think Morales would be the person who would be like, “Just get out of the way and let me do my job.” People are very tickled by me. They think Dr. Morales is very funny. So I have a lot of very positive response from people that recognize me. They’ll say, “Oh my god! You’re so funny on the show. We love it when you’re mean to Brenda.” Though early on they hated it when I was mean to Brenda. But they love the personality. They love that he doesn’t take any bullshit from anybody and says it like it is and has no time for losers.